Saturday, June 12, 2010

Football Lily

The African Football Lily, or Blood Lily Scadoxus multiflorus probably knows about the World Cup. It is blooming everywhere in my garden.
The flower is also known as the Monsoon Lily and the Fireball in India. It has another botanical name, haemanthus multiflorus. The inflorescence is big and spherica, resembling the football.The plant has bulbs which multiply each year. This lily is a native of Namibia in Africa. The leaves are bright green and attractive. The plant flowers during the Monsoons.
All parts of this plant are poisonous.

8 comments:

  1. Football? Ha ha... I hope no one will give a kick... else you loose all of them in no time ;-) Everyone is down with football fever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very interesting and beautiful flower this football lily. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog, and will slowly be feasting my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi lotusleaf
    we used to call it Mayflower .I had always wondered what its botanical name must be.
    it was in my granny's garden & would bloom in summers .
    we got to see it in every summer vacation .
    Now I have these beautiful lillies and they bloom around May end or in June and remain like these for a long time
    Vidya

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favourite flower...its blooms around 5/6 of may....evry year..we used to call it disco ball

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it really poisonous

    ReplyDelete