Saturday, October 22, 2011

Ber Fruit

Ber or Zezyphus sativa ia a native of the Indian subcontinent. It is found in the tropical south as well as in the arid regions of Rajasthan. In December and January, the trees become laden with ripe fruit, inviting birds and small mammals. The dried fruit is preserved and eaten to alleviate sun stroke and thirst.
The name Ber comes from the Sanskrit Badari. Ber trees were believed to have been growing in the region of Badrinath, high up in the Himalayas. For the Hindus, this thorny tree is lovable.
Thetree has many uses- farmers use the thorny branches to keep out atray cattle from their fields. The wood is hard, and is used to make agricultural implements.
Now we see ber fruit the size of small apples- the result of hibridization.
A very tasty sweet and sour pickle is made from the fruit.

9 comments:

  1. Niestety my tego u nas nie spróbujemy :-(.Nie ma takich drzew. Pozdrawiam

    ReplyDelete
  2. My onion photo was taken outside an Indian shop. There is a stretch of shops here making it Little Indian.

    My 15 year old son likes onion, so now I buy by the sackful

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats a nice post! the ber is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are these the tiny red bers? They have disappeared from the market. And with a dash of salt they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know this kind of fruit, although I grew up in Indonesia. But these berries look very healthy. Thanks for this informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was very popular in my native Greece. However, since we migrated to Australia I have only seen it for sale on a couple of occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Gurgaon(Haryana)this is called 'Kokar Ber'.Girls/women like it very much.very delicious but not pulpy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all varieties of ber especially the tiny round fruit. I would like to know if they are available for purchase online.

    ReplyDelete